Our lease was up at the end of October and we had three weeks until Thanksgiving. We asked, “Where can we go while staying close by so we can make it home for the holidays?” Luckily, we had a car and headed East.
We decided to take the road less traveled and turned left instead of right, which most people know of as, The Hamptons.
North Fork is a quaint little town. It’s a wonderful community with amazing food, delicious wine and an abundance of things to do. Northforkers, we thank you for welcoming us with open arms.
We’re back from our little home away from home and here are some of my favorite things that we did and we highly recommend you to do if you’re looking for something a little different than The Hamptons for your next weekend getaway.
Go to Wineries
- Scallops are in high season in November. Everywhere you go, there will be Scallops this time of year and they will be super fresh.
- Go to Southold Fish Market for the freshest seafood in town
- It was our first time shucking our own oysters so we’re glad it was at Little Creek Oyster Farm. They have a whole kit for you and show you exactly how to do it. You’ll become a pro in no time!
- Also, have their crab roll & clam chowder. It was the best meal we had on our trip!
- Greenport Harbor Brewing Co. in Peconic was SO MUCH FUN. We went there multiple times and couldn’t get enough. We’re also not beer people, but their beers are SO DAMN GOOD.
- We ended up being there on a night of their Beer Dinner. A 5-course meal by Chef Greg Ling with beer pairings designed for each meal. By far, the highlight of our trip so if you see one of these happening again, I highly recommend you plan your North Fork trip around this.
Listen to live Jazz
- Green Hill Kitchen is one of the newer restaurants in Greenport. Every Wednesday at 7pm they have a live jazz band.
- It was perfectly intimate, the ambiance was romantic and the food was great!
Enjoy the Beach
- After my morning runs, I loved a good stroll on the beach with Pepper. Coming from NYC, I crave connecting with nature. It was exactly what I needed to unwind
- Kayak- Okay so this one was a little crazy. It was a cold but a sunny day so we decided to take out the one-person kayak that we had. Adnan tested it out and it was great and I got jealous he was having so much fun. I decided to hop on his lap and enjoy the ride but we only lasted about 20 seconds before we fell in. LOL. It was so much fun but SO FREAKIN COLD. When we got out, the sun felt great and we rushed back home to warm up before catching pneumonia.
- Tanger Outlet in Riverhead, NY has some of the best outlet stores. We found great deals, especially at Off 5th when I needed a last minute dress for an Art Gala. They also have awesome furniture outlets like West Elm and Pottery Barn outlets!
- Mom & Pop Shops are everywhere! You’ll find a lot of cute stores in Greenport that will make for perfect souvenirs for your Friends and Family. Check out Sweet Indulgences!
Check out the Bars
- Brix & Rye is the most perfect cocktail bar. It’s a faux speakeasy [can’t be a real speakeasy with a sign on the door] but you walk into an empty storefront area with shuffleboard, then walk downstairs to.. What feels like a lower east side Manhattan cocktail bar. It was love at first sight. Even better, cocktails were $12 instead of $16, which is the price you usually find in LES. I was a little worried because they are a bit on the sweet side, but after one, I was definitely tipsy so they must know what they are doing.
- Industry Standard was another favorite. Not quite like a cocktail bar, more like a wine bar in Manhattan. Great ambiance and service. It is also the only place that we found a happy hour. 2 for 1 wines from 5-7.
- The smell of freshly baked pie will lure you in and you’ll stay for the cider. Trust me, take a pie home. It’s delicious.
- Also, while you’re at it, grab some fresh veggies like Brussel Sprouts so you can off set that pie later at night.
Grab some donuts and go to the Antique Carousel
- Hit up North Fork Doughnut Co. in Mattituck for the best, fluffiest, yummiest donuts and drive to Greenport. Then head over to Greenport to ride the carousel. The beauty of it will make you take out your phone to capture a photo. It’s stunning.
The worst thing to do? Go to Pindar Vineyards on a Saturday…. Unless you’re looking to get crunk… for cheap. Actually, that also sounds like a pretty good time.
Check out our very first Vlog below!